Featured Post

LEGO Alternate Builds: Creator, Transformers, Bumblebee , building instructions

  This page contains grouped links to my creations and Transformers made using official LEGO sets

Monday, August 24, 2026

LEGO 76970 alternate build #001: Transformer Tank | TUTORIAL


My first Transformer using this LEGO set!

PROLOGUE

I seldom browsed LEGO Jurassic World theme sets because my initial assumption that they either produced sets featuring Dino skeletons (ughh..... 90% tan* colored bricks!)  , or dino bigfig + vehicle combo playsets. There shouldn't be anything useful for my Transformers  MOCs.




*I already have some Creator sets with tan and flesh-like color scheme  and they're absolutely limiting me when it comes to building cool, colorful Transformers 

However..... I've accepted a top secret  commissioned project that required me to call for reinforcements... aka scout for the best sets to deliver this project. Ball joints are good, but other pieces of the right colors are needed as well!

So here we are..... my first JW set was bought.


I have rudimentary knowledge on jurassic creatures beyond the ones appearing in Transformers cartoons. And for the longest time, I always assumed this dino in 76970  is a baby Triceratops!!

ABOUT PROJECT TRANSFORMER TANK 

The set mentioned above will soon be integrated into my commissioned project. But before that, I vowed to give this set a shot in building a Transformer. So there!


I *think* I might have subconsciously taken a cue from other official Tank mode Transformers. Perhaps Tankor from Beast Machine series?







Initially I planned to build a Transformer Thundertank , but stuck after an hour of experimenting. So I pivoted the alt mode to become simply... a tank.


Eureka moment came when I discovered that the black rounded "dino paw" pieces make decent tank treads!

 




Turret with wide range of rotation.

 


TRANSFORM!





ROBOT MODE



His feet used to be pointy but they hindered turret articulations in tank mode. 







MORE ACTION POSES



For stability in various poses, the heels must be adjusted accordingly.



To be honest,  I didn't plan for the turret to be mounted on his shoulders until photoshoot where I discovered that it's possible to do so!  Exposed studs  allowing the mounting is unintentional since I ran out of smooth tiles to pad them!  Reverse Murphy's Law, anyone?

 


 

VIDEO TUTORIAL



WAIT ! THERE'S MORE

A while back, I made a tank Transformer using LEGO 31150 , which shared similar color scheme with set 76970 (video below)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...