Featured Post

Buy My "LEGO" Transformers designs in Barweer and Amazon.

  I am happy to announce that some of my LEGO Transformers designs have become official products under a few 3rd party building block brands...

Friday, December 17, 2021

Video Tutorial: Transformer Armada Tank from LEGO Creator set 31088: Deep Sea Creatures


 This is my fifth Transformer built using set 31088: Deep Sea Creatures. What's an Armada tank? Shouldn't it be an armada of tanks?  Waitaminute that's not right either. Battalion of tanks perhaps? Well, read on to clear your confusion...


PROLOGUE

Prior to this project, I had made 4 Transformers  from set 31088, and the most recent one was an excavator (below), more than half a year ago.


Click here to know more about the excavator above.

Back then, instead of an excavator TF ... I'd thought of building a tank TF. But seeing there weren't many LEGO parts suitable to build tank turrets, I gave that mode a pass.  

ABOUT THIS PROJECT

This project was heavily inspired by Megatron , the leader of the bad guys Decepticons from Transformers Armada cartoon series from the early 2000s. (below).


Aside from the various gimmicks and play features all over the official Armada Megatron toy above, the core transformation from tank to robot mode is very simple to achieve with LEGO, so I'm all good to go!

TANK MODE



After channeling most of the good parts to build the tank body, those remaining were used to complete the turret module.


The idea of clawed parts /shark teeth to mimic tank tracks was what spurred me to build tracked vehicles like the excavator prior to this tank.




ATTACK MODE 

I am a strong supporter of all earth-like tank based toys (Transformers or not) to have standard turret range, both vertical and horizontal.  Why? Coz I had bad experience with one that failed my assumption:  I broke the barrel off my Titan Returns Blitzwing toy after I applied too much force in coercing it to point upwards, where it was never possible to begin with. 



One of the perks of building this tank is that I need  not worry about how to conceal the robot head. Armada Megatron's head exposed to the elements in alternate mode is canon to the toy (and cartoon). He's literally biting the dust there rumbling down the battleground.


Not just the turret is asymmetrical... the plating at the front of the tank also is a bit different between the left and right side. Look closer!


My earlier barrel design was literally a few blocky bricks stacked on top of each other. Of course.. eventually I will try my best to refine it to be more tubular. 



TRANSFORM!






ROBOT MODE


The hardest component to build is definitely the head, since I wanted antlers on his head like Armada Megatron.





A fixed pillared shoulder will lead to reduced shoulder articulations.  So they're designed to be hinged and move away when needed. But the trade offs here would be this hinged mechanism  is the weakest link of this creation of mine.




Like many of my LEGO Transformers with huge back kibble, the poseability of his robot mode is fair at best. You have been warned!


WAIST CANNON MODE!

This feature, too, was inspired from Armada Megatron.. where the tank barrels swiveled to point forward.



BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS

Building Instructions in the form of a video tutorial , is located at the bottom of this page. 

Before you get started, please sort your parts according to the photos below. 

Left Arm



Right Arm



Legs




Turret


Body





VIDEO TUTORIAL


Video not showing? Click here please

Thank you for following my video tutorial! 


3 comments:

  1. I think you should call that Moc Megazarak(universe) though,it more resembles him then megatron(armada) in colour, only it's blue andd not purple

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome moc! I thought I saw a rebuild you made of the miles Morales Spider-Man mech that turned into a microscope. Did you delete that one and are rebuilding it to turn into something else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to revise the microscope design and republish it by this month end (Jan 2022). Then only I'll try to build something else with it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...