Featured Post

LEGO Alternate Builds: Creator, Transformers, Bumblebee , building instructions

  This page contains grouped links to my creations and Transformers made using official LEGO sets

Thursday, October 8, 2026

LEGO 76967 alternate build #002: Transformer Thundertank | TUTORIAL

 

Thunder! Thunder! Thunder! Waitaminute.... that's a panda tank!

PROLOGUE

Aside from G1 Transformers, Thundercats is one of my favorite cartoon series from the 1980s. And one of the most iconic vehicle from that cartoon was Thundertank!


In recent years, I've made quite a few Thundertank Transformers using official LEGO sets, and below is definitely the best so far , made using set 31152 




ABOUT PROJECT PANDA THUNDERTANK

LEGO set 31165 Panda Family shared similar color scheme with set 31152 used to build Thundertank TF above.  And that's a reason compelling enough for me to start this project! Let's hooo I mean go!!


I tried and tried to replicate the front of the actual Thundertank  but it still ended up looking like a cynical panda head.



As always, the last component to be built is the gun. However, the last thing I did before wrapping this project up was something else.


 


Raise you arm(s) if you like this creation!






The opening hood was an accidental design! It started as a thin panel, with intention to hide the robor head.  

TRANSFORM! 



In vehicle mode, the legs were pegged to each side via a single stud.






ROBOT MODE




 

There's a story behind the hinge for the vehicle roof. I discovered that my initial design was weak structurally with the c-clip plates having poor clutch strength when connected to the bracket. So  I must redesign it. 






 



WITN GUN



 

CONFESSION!

20 minutes before I decided to wrap this project up, I noticed his pelvis and waist were disproportionately sized compared to the upper body, like characters from Transformers:Animated cartoon. So I performed massive redesign by widentng them  a lil.    

During photoshoot  of action poses.... I found out that  such  asthetics improvements led to reduced range for the pelvic joints! And they can't bend beyond 30 degrees to any direction, aka he can't kneel!


Removing the side panels on his pelvis can improve the range somewhat by perhaps 2-3 degrees?


VIDEO TUTORIAL











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...