Featured Post

Buy My "LEGO" Transformers designs in Barweer and Amazon.

  I am happy to announce that some of my LEGO Transformers designs have become official products under a few 3rd party building block brands...

Friday, September 24, 2021

Video Tutorial: Transformer Microscope from LEGO Creator set 31112: Wild Lion

 


This one really escalated very quickly! I started this project about 2 weeks ago and decided to expedite it, ahead of other LEGO TF projects still in progress much earlier . Why?


Well, I've mentioned before that I would focus more on LEGO sets that were released this year, and set 31112 is one of them.   As for older sets, they will take a backseat.  Don't worry though, I'll make sure my Transformers from older LEGO sets (especially popular ones) will still make their appearance at least once a month.

PROLOGUE

This project marks my 3rd attempt in using set 31112 to build a Transformer. Click here to view the previous two.

Few years back, I built a microscope Transformer too, using set 70842: Emmet's Triple Decker Couch Mech.


Click here if video is not showing.

ABOUT THIS PROJECT

The initial spark of inspiration that led me to built a microscope mode was the presence of many curved slopes from set 31112 and also 2 long LEGO plates (2 x 8 studs in dimension).  They made really smooth microscope base, I'd thought. And it's full speed ahead from there!


My earliest idea for the base was simple: Just a blocky one  with wedge parts (robot feet) folded in. However, I was forced to implement a wider robot footprint for stability, so the wedge parts now must face outwards as shown in this final design, with a bit of heels protruding out.



My last minute enhancement prior to photo shoot was raising the stage (where specimen is placed on for inspection)  up a bit so it can get closer to the scope lens. Later on I discovered this modification comes with a price.


One of the major challenges here was building the scope, since there's barely any tubular, rounded parts at my disposal here.






Initially I planned to implement just a single eyepiece for the user to peer into, but that was already done before in my earlier Microscope Transformer. So I decided to apply 2 eyepieces instead. Two white brackets are needed to hold the bulb-turned-eyepieces. These brackets were initially used by me to implement the stage clip (by connecting them with white claws) . I guess I have to make do with no stage clip in favor of having two eyepieces.

CANNON MODE


Warning to users: do not look into the eyepieces in this mode!



TRANSFORM!



Note how both arms were expanded out of the microscope body. They were secured snugly via a stud on each forearm. You can rotate the elbows 90 degrees and still able to tuck the arms nicely into the body,  but they might be droopy thought.



ROBOT MODE



My "foolish" attempt in raising the microscope stage now resulted in a messy back kibble (note the awkward orientation of the scope lens)/










PERCEPTOR MODE

Perceptor was a Transformer character from G1 Transformers cartoon series in the 1980s, and he turned into a microscope with the lens unit ended up on his shoulder. 


Here's my creation trying to emulate him!







Overhead mode. I'm not sure Perceptor can do this since I don't own the toy.


BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS

Building Instructions in the form of a video tutorial , is located at the bottom of this page. 

Before you get started, please sort your parts according to the photos below. 

Arms




Legs




Body




The Rest





VIDEO TUTORIAL

Video not showing? Click here please

Thank you for following my video tutorial! For more building instructions with LEGO set 31112, click here please.  Have fun!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...