Featured Post

Buy My "LEGO" Transformers designs in Barweer and Amazon.

  I am happy to announce that some of my LEGO Transformers designs have become official products under a few 3rd party building block brands...

Friday, October 20, 2023

Video Tutorial: Transformer King Grimlock/Dinosaur from LEGO Creator set 31121: Crocodile

 

Finally, something for my fans!

PROLOGUE

I had made a few Transformation using LEGO set 31121: Crocodile, with Scorponok being the more recent one. (video below):


However,  I wasn't too keen of keeping this creation above for long.  So dismantling him to start off a  next one doesn't put me in much dilemma.  Set 31121 is one of the better sets to build more Transformers from, so I shouldn't hesitate too long either !



ABOUT THIS PROJECT

As titled , this project is my rendition of King Grimlock. Grimlock is an iconic character from Transformers universe, spanning from the original G1 cartoon back in the mid 1980s until presently. He turns into a T-rex dinosaur, and leader of team Dinobot. At one point in the show, he made himself king, and hence.. that explains the crown on his head.




 I tried to mimic the transformation to be similar to G1  Grimlock except with a few exceptions.



 


 

Yeah, his dino arms are wacky. I tried hard to improve them but still ended up in such a way.


 

Due to rigid nature of his tiny dino arms... He is only able to flap his arms out horizontally.



Those legs definitely taking the weight of the dino body pretty well.

 


WITH SNARL, THE STEGOSAURUS

Snarl, a member of Dinobot under Grimlock's command, was made using set 31129:Majestic Tiger.(video below)







TRANSFORM!

 



 

ROBOT MODE


  

The detailings on the forearms were applied minutes before I wrap things up, aftering discovering how ugly those arms looked with underside  of  2 x 4 plates facing out.



For maximum stability, the dino tail must be folded to the back of the legs snugly so the tip of the tail aligns with the base of the feet.


Confession time!  

I accidentally applied a part not from set 31121 into this creation (a rogue yellow 1x1 tile , on his waist). Then I proceeded to snap a bunch of photos unknowingly.  

After fixing this error by substituting it with a tan colored 1x1 tile from set 31121,  I resnap the robot mode photos . The dino mode photos still contain errored part though, but I guess they're not obvious (and I was too lazy to resnap the dino mode photos).


 

MORE POSES


 


Exposed studs on blue plates on his chest are deliberate design choice to add more color accent to his primarily bland green and tan color scheme.

 

 




In the G1 cartoon series , Grimlock's robot mode is about the same height with Snarl. Well, not here!


Eagle eyed viewers might noticed how similar their forearms design are. Yes... Grimmy's forearm design took inspiration from Snarl's .


BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS

Building Instructions in the form of a video tutorial , is located at the bottom of this page. 

Before you get started, please sort your parts according to the photos below. 

Arms





Left Leg


 

Right Leg


 

Tail



Dino Head



Body


 



VIDEO TUTORIAL



Thank you for following my video tutorial! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...