Featured Post

Buy My "LEGO" Transformers designs in Barweer and Amazon.

  I am happy to announce that some of my LEGO Transformers designs have become official products under a few 3rd party building block brands...

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Video Tutorial: Transformer Optimus Primal (Beast Wars) Gorilla from LEGO Creator 31130: Sunken Treasure Mission

 

This project is a fitting tribute to mark the end of Transformers: Rise of the Beast screening in cinemas!

PROLOGUE

Almost 2 months ago, I published my Optimus Primal creation made using LEGO set 31133, days after the premier of Transformers: Rise of the Beasts movie.

This project above was completed it matter of days and due to the limited parts choice from set 31133, this Optimus Primal was pretty fragile. After this first attempt in building this Transformer Gorilla, I gained some experience and vowed to build another improved one in the near future, using a different LEGO set.

About Set 31130: Sunken Treasure Mission

This set was released last year in the 2nd half of 2022. My first impression from the box art was pretty good... seeing the tons of articulated ball jointed arms forming the octopus tentacles. And the parts count is excellent too for the price.



ABOUT THIS PROJECT

This project is based on Optimus Primal, the leading good bot in Transformers: Beast Wars cartoon more than 20 years ago. He finally appeared in the recent live action Transformers: Rise of the Beast movie. (below, his toy version)



The initial spark of inspiration to build this guy was the presence of the big round plates found in set 31130.

 

Initially he has a dark red muzzle , but the color didn't stand out. So it was replaced with dark gray 





With weapons deployed.



More Poses

Initially I tried to design a single head that doubles as both the robot and gorilla head (just like what I did for my Optimus Primal using set 31133), but thing did not look as as good as I expected.


So, the head transformation between modes I finally achieved is far more satisfactory. Such is the feeling that kept me going when building LEGO Transformers. 



TRANSFORM


 

Unfold the chest to reveal the robot head. My absolute favorite design process right here!

 

Raise the  ape "tail" and secure it to the upper body. This is the last enhancements I made to this project, not doing so will cause the upper body to collapse easily.


ROBOT MODE


Initially photos of this creation was supposed to be taken on a blue background, but the result was not optimal (no pun intended), no thanks to his similarly blue robot head). I can either swap the blue head for a yellow one , or change the background color altogether.  




MORE POSES




 



With LEGO 31133 Optimus Primal . The latter is slightly taller despite using less parts to build, but it's very fragile. My latest one trumps in structural integrity.

BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS

Building Instructions in the form of a video tutorial , is located at the bottom of this page. 

IMPORTANT REMINDER: Spare pieces from set 31130 were needed to complete this creation. 

Before you get started, please sort your parts according to the photos below. 

Arms

 

 

Left Leg

 


Right Leg

 


Pelvis

 


Body

 

 


The Rest








VIDEO TUTORIAL


Video not showing? Click here please


Thank you for following my video tutorial! 


1 comment:

  1. Awesome build! Are you planning on making a transformer out of the
    75571 avatar amp suit set?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...