Featured Post

Buy My "LEGO" Transformers designs in Barweer and Amazon.

  I am happy to announce that some of my LEGO Transformers designs have become official products under a few 3rd party building block brands...

Friday, March 8, 2024

Video Tutorial: Transformer Thrust / Jet Fighter from LEGO Creator 31130: Sunken Treasure Mission

 

Actually I am not into seekers compared to a typical G1 Transformers fan...

PROLOGUE

About a month ago, I was performing Chinese New Year housekeeping, and tidied up my dusty shelf filled with LEGO Transformers (what else?).  As I took a glance of the Snarl I made using set 31130 just a few months before (video below), I suddenly felt that  he didn't age well  ! 


So, the poor chap above was pushed to the top of my "to-dismantle" list for me to make a new Transformer from, hopefully better. So there!

ABOUT SET 31130


Set 31130 is one of the rare regular LEGO sets that provided me TONS of ball joints , found on the Octopus' arms ! However, it has it's drawbacks. Well, the presence of big round plates from this set  really put a spanner in my works! There aren't that many classic plates either from the set to make my life easier! 


ABOUT PROJECT THRUST

This year I will focus on building more LEGO alternate creations based on official  Transformers characters,. I remembered there's a Seeker* with dark red color scheme and round wings but (then) I've forgotten his name! A lil googling solved that , obviously. And his name is Thrust!  (My initial guess prior to googling was Dirge actually).

*Seekers = team of Decepticon jet planes led my Starscream, from G1 Transformers cartoon series 


Original Thrust jet mode doesn't have vertical tailfins, and I must implement them here for very practical reason, which you'll find out more later on.





I attempted to improve the rear with jet engines but they still did not looked good after heavy modifications, so I undoed my efforts and revert to what you see above. The folly wasted me 2 hours! 




I'm still in a dilemma over to whether to have the wing tips be gray (using 1 x 2 cheese slopes) or the final choice above (using red 1 x 2 slopes).  I think both choices are equally good.



 





TRANSFORM!



The blue parts underneath the wings are connected there , to help to align the arms that is tucked in snugly in the formed gaps.


Observe how the hinged arms are raised up to form the flanks. This is my favorite part of design process. 





ROBOT MODE

Actually I didn't like his official wing placement. It's too wide and  affected his poseability as well. But for the sake of staying true to source material....




Lemme readjust the wings to improve him. Much better , don't you think so? 



 



Vertical jet tailfins providing wider footprint in this bot mode for much needed stability.  

MORE POSES








VIDEO TUTORIAL


Thank you for following my video tutorial! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...