Featured Post

Buy My "LEGO" Transformers designs in Barweer and Amazon.

  I am happy to announce that some of my LEGO Transformers designs have become official products under a few 3rd party building block brands...

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Video Tutorial: Transformer Jet plane from LEGO Monkie Kid 80040: Combi Mech

 


Finally, my very first MOC using a Monkie Kid LEGO set!


PROLOGUE

LEGO Monkie Kid theme has been around for quite some time now, and seems like LEGO are using the theme to release many mech sets .  I would love to commit but their price point were simply off limits to me.  


Almost got myself set 80030 above but those fixed angled elbow 
joints really put me off big time. 

Another reason stopping me was the general  popularity of the theme , compared to Ninjago. I fear their lack of global appeal means  even lesser interests in the Transformers I made using these Monkie Kid sets.

This year, LEGO dangled a regular aka cheap Monkie Kid set right in front of my eyes: set 80040 Combi Mech!


From the photo shown on the box , I was particularly attracted to one thing:  Knee joints...!!  And each knees are made using 2 frictional hinges!  

Just like many LEGO official mech related sets, I have a tendency to focus on the mech itself when looking at the box art to gauge the prospect of parts used to build them  , and ignored pretty much everything else in the background.   Gosh I even not giving a damn to the weapons being wielded by the mech.

Upon unboxing the set to start building, I was stunned yet again at the unexpected good number of versatile parts  used in the non-mech itself , like the baton it is holding. This broke my assumption that  the baton was made from a few tubes connected together.


ABOUT THIS CREATION

A jet plane/space cruiser mode is quite a low hanging fruit as a alternate mode for my LEGO Transformers , so I decided to start with it first. Hopefully  I can take it to the next level in my subsequent creations using the set in the future.


 

Initially the white windshield /cockpit was placed much nearer to the nosecone, but it will end up as the robot mode's bulging crotch, which I disliked.



 


TRANSFORMATION




ROBOT MODE


Most of my LEGO Transformers are notorious for not having thumbs. Well. this one is a rare exception!


 

The head design looks similar to Nezha (with the 2 buns on the side), yet another character from Chinese mythology. This is actually incidental! 


The 1x1 plates on the back of the legs are the finishing touches to this creation, to make the jet nosecone fuller and closing the gaps.

 

MORE ACTION POSES


 

 


BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS

Building Instructions in the form of a video tutorial , is located at the bottom of this page. 

Before you get started, please sort your parts according to the photos below. 

Arms





Legs





Wings



Body

 
 
 




VIDEO TUTORIAL



Video not showing? Click here please 

Thank you for following my video tutorial! 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...