Featured Post

Buy My "LEGO" Transformers designs in Barweer and Amazon.

  I am happy to announce that some of my LEGO Transformers designs have become official products under a few 3rd party building block brands...

Friday, May 28, 2021

Video Tutorial: Transformer Hovertank from LEGO Creator 31089 and Marvel Mech Armor

 


I remembered having high hopes for  set 31089 by mere looking at its box art last year. And when I finally got hold of the set, I discovered the parts were really really good but...


... they're missing hinges for me to built even a simple Transformer. So my first project from the set was a non-transformable ,generic X-wing (below). Well at least this creation featured a few wing configurations.


Click here if video is now showing above.

Not longer after that, I dismantled my X-wing above and store the parts away... knowing one day I will utilize them for greater purpose.

ABOUT THIS PROJECT

So ... the greater purpose arrived few months ago (early 2021). This is yet another project that branched out from my earlier project, which was LEGO Thundertank from Emmet's Couch Mech set (below). So they both shared similar transformation sequence. And it inspired me to create a Thundertank-former from Marvel 76146: Spider-man mech armor set too!


Video not showing? Click here please. 

Returning to this project,  this Transformer of mine requires set 31089 and a bunch of ball joints, commonly found in a single LEGO Marvel Mech Armor set:


  • 76140: Iron Man Mech Armor
  • 76141: Thanos Mech Armor
  • 76146: Spider-man Mech Armor
  • 76168: Captain America Mech Armor
  • 76169: Thor Mech Armor
  • 76171: Miles Morales Mech Armor
Note: If you don't have any sets listed, but  have the necessary ball joints shown in the image above , you're good to go! 



It's called Hovertank due to lack of proper wheels and tank tracks to keep it well, grounded .



One thing I'm really proud of: I utilized all the bracket parts from the set in this creation.






The robot limbs are aligned nicely in vehicle mode. And you'll be surprised later to find out how I managed to tab the robot legs to the body by using a part which I once thought was redundant and useless. 



The cockpit fits one minifigure nicely. That's Emmet by the way... the star of LEGO Movie.



TRANSFORMATION


Note the rounded black part on the legs /feet. That's the pin-like part that I was able to apply and peg onto the body in vehicle mode. Such discovery was accidental, really!





Another design technique I am proud of: "obfuscating" the head by covering it with flaps. This was a desperate move after I finished building the head and it was exposed in vehicle mode. There's no other way/extra hinges for me to fold the head away.

ROBOT MODE


This is one of the more proportionate robot mode I ever created from all the alternate designs using LEGO sets. 


Hope the overall stature of his bot mode can make up for the lack of neck swivel/joint and decent hands!





ACTION POSES




Many of the brackets from the set literally wrapped around the robot legs. 





MORE ACTION POSES

Prior to photoshoot, I didn't foresee how poseable he can be despite implementing a fair level of articulations* on all his limbs. Let's just say I was blown away myself.

*some of my creations despite being articulated, suffered from big kibble problem that led to impaired stability and limited cool poses.



He passed the ultimate stability test by standing on one leg.




The pose above is a very rare feat for most of my LEGO Transformer. 



Opps... Sorry Emmet!


BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS

Building Instructions in the form of a video tutorial , is located at the bottom of this page. Before you get started, please sort your parts according to the photos below. 

Arms





Left Leg



Right Leg




Body




The Rest




VIDEO TUTORIAL

Video not showing? Click here please.


Thank you for following my video tutorial! 

  • More free building instructions  (mostly from official LEGO sets)
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...