Featured Post

Buy My "LEGO" Transformers designs in Barweer and Amazon.

  I am happy to announce that some of my LEGO Transformers designs have become official products under a few 3rd party building block brands...

Friday, May 3, 2024

Video Tutorial: Transformer Star Destroyer (Star Wars) from LEGO Creator 31152: Space Astronaut

This project was started  just a week ago, with a very important mission (and no, it's not decimation of all Jedis).

PROLOGUE


Star War is a very popular pop culture media franchise and over the years, I made quite a few LEGO creations  /crossover of this franchise, Most were made out of whim , when sudden inspiration hit me . Some of them were made using official LEGO sets as well.



ABOUT SET 31152: SPACE ASTRONAUT

This set was released in early 2024 and I built my first Transformer using it not long after it was bought back then..


About a month ago, I planned to dismantle the creation above, and  build something Star Wars related in anticipation of  Star Wars Day (May the 4th).  But I was too vested on this Thundertank and hesitated for another 2 weeks or so!  And I need it intact for photoshoot /video alongside my latest Thundertank TF using Majestic Tiger set.

ABOUT THIS PROJECT

The alternate mode for this LEGO Transformer  is the iconic spaceship from Star Wars:  the Imperial Star Destroyer! It's commanding presence on the big screen is unsurpassed!


This project was started mere one week ago and 90% completed over the weekends. Main objective is to get this published by 4th of May obviously, so I gotta hurry, I told myself.  

BUILDING TUTORIAL

As a small favor to multiple parties: LEGO fans , my LEGO Transformers fans, Star Wars fans... I decided to provide FREE tutorial of this fine specimen in my youtube channel . The building steps are quite lengthy , compared to my "standard" offerings, though. Patience, my young LEGO Padawan!



At the same time, I am offering softcopy of the building instructions for sale in my rebrickable.com page (link below). 


If you appreciate my gesture and efforts in making this creation, Please buy a copy of this instructions. Please, please , please! Thank you!


SHIP MODE

I always assumed actual color of Star Destroyer (SD) is light gray, since official LEGO sets of SD is always primarily in such color.  I actually  planned  to conjure a backstory to justify my  white version here through humor, and yes.. why it ended up as  a Transformer (multiversal glitch, perhaps?).

 

However., after performing due diligence (aka googling) ,I was shocked and amused at the same time to discover that the official color of SDs is white after all! And then there's a "Star Destroyer white"  color name which is canon to the SW franchise ! Wow, indeed!


Initially I snapped a bunch of photos of the ship mode grounded but they didn't do justice to it. This behemoth of a ship should be viewed "floating" in space. So I redid the shooting in black background instead.


Tiny lil details of the rear engines. if only the center one is gray, that would be perfect.  

 

There are  a few nifty last minute enhancements prior to wrapping up this project. You'd be surprised where.


The horizontal blue lining / accents can be reconfigured to form vertical stripes, and still looks pretty good (especially in robot mode).


The original SD has 3 cannons for offensive purpose on each side. Mine has one on each side.


 

 


TRANSFORM!

Let's start by flipping the ship over.

 

These flaps above  were one of the final additions to the creation, my efforts in improving the least-visible part of the ship aka its underside.  And being a fan of hinged plates, I simply cannot leave them unutilized in my alt builds.


Unlatch the feet from the ship body, freeing up the legs and arms.



The  design process   which took a disproportionate  amount of time  from me,  was how to cover the ship's front. It cannot form the chest plate since the role has been reserved for the bridge/control tower. Luckily hinged plates saved the day again, allowing the front panels to fold away to form  shoulder pads!



ROBOT MODE

 

The middle of the chest is hollowed out so that the tower-turned-chestplate can be aligned properly in robot mode. There are  few configurations  on how the tower settled on the chest, and this one is the most elegant.


Note the white chunky wedges on his butt. They were  applied  last minute to improve the aesthetics of the ship's rear which once left a gaping hole near its engines. 


 



 

MORE ACTION POSES


 


 

BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS

Below a sample renders of building instructions.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...