Featured Post

LEGO Alternate Builds: Creator, Transformers, Bumblebee , building instructions

  This page contains grouped links to my creations and Transformers made using official LEGO sets

Friday, August 14, 2026

LEGO 31152 alternate build #018: Transformer Ratchet (Cybertronian)

 

No wheels ? No problem!

RECAP!

This is my 18th Transformer made using LEGO Creator 31152: Space Astronaut. Before this , I have made Transformers:One Soundwave using this set (below)



While dismantling Soundwave above , I yet again had an epithany: my Soundwave above have a white rectangular chest  and suddenly my mind thought of Ratchet! The G1 Autobot Medic that turned into an Ambulance. 

Then I wasn't sure the actual color of Ratchet's windscreen and turned to google to find out. With a stroke of luck...... Set  31152 has the right amount of pieces in the exact color of the windshield: Azure blue.  That's my cue to proceed with project Ratchet!

ABOUT THIS PROJECT

My initial idea was to build Transformers:One Ratchet and assumed he might have similar robot aesthetics /chest to his G1 version  (like G1 Soundwave/Shockwave and their TF:One counterparts) .  Google photos confirmed that I was wrong.  His robot mode barely looked  rectangular either.

So I fall back and put him under "Cybertronian mode" instead.  After all, my Ratchet's vehicle mode seems to be very similar to G1 Wheeljack Cybertronian mode (below) 




The very first thing I built on the start of  this project is the windshield . and the front wheels.  I took inspiration from TF:One Optimus Prime truck mode actually.  

 


Confession: Due to the orientation of the vehicle front, the faux front wheels do not touch the ground.

 

The black spurs on the back were applied mere minutes before I wrap this project up to break the monotonous white of the vehicle mode. Not expecting them to serve other purpose, so I thought. But fate has other plans.



I spent 20% of this project's time building a proper gun that could be mounted at the center of his vehicle mode and held by his hand. I think I wasted precious hours doing so. Keep browsing to know why.  


 

So...during photoshoot, I discovered that the gun can be mounted on the black spurs as well.  Placement looked decent too!   I should not have spent hours earlier designing the gun to be pegged on the exact center  


TRANSFORM!




Note only one finger on each robot hand is pointing outward, while the other two inwards.


The arms are tabbed into the vehicle mode via the gray stud on the side.








ROBOT MODE


Despite the sterile looking vehicle / alternate mode, I must shamelessly say I have redeemed myself by making the robot mode very  Ratchet-isque from top to toe! 


That's as far as I can go designing red "pants" for him. There's simply not enough red parts from set 31152 for me to utilize here.  

  



He's lean without any kibbles at all! 



The biggest challenge goes to his head!  Designing the head to be able to tuck underneath the vehicle mode took me almost half the project's time!

MORE ACTION POSES


 



With gun

 


 

"Ok Agent 007. My turn to shoot."





With Takaratomy's Masterpiece Ironhide! They shared the same vehicle mould in G1 Transformers cartoon 


VIDEO



WAIT..! THERE'S MODE

More than 10 years ago... I made LEGO Ratchet and Ironhide that turned into their G1 vehicles: White ambulance and red van. And they transform too!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...